Monday, September 28, 2009

Sunshine: In or Out

I have a conundrum. Living in the sunny state of Florida has its goods & bads. The good is sunshine most of the day but the bad is heat (oh, and gigantic bugs).

When the hubby & I built our house we decided to go with block out drapes. They block sunlight & heat. That was 11 years ago. For about a year now we’ve been talking about building a pergola to shade the house instead because our HOA prohibits awnings and the house is always dark. And I’m home all day now…

The natural light is so revitalizing & I love looking at the pond but the rear of the house, where most of the windows are, faces south so it gets pretty hot.

The problem: during the day the house is cool but dark & I have lights on all day. This seems pretty nutty but my thinking is it costs more to run the AC than turn on a light. What do you think? Open the drapes or turn on the light?

No comments: