Tuesday, November 24, 2009

ASPCA International: Operation Baghdad Pups

I am not from a military family so I'm not familiar with the military lifestyle but I am familiar with loss. I have a girlfriend who, at 40, decided to accept civilian employment with the military in Egypt. She is a Librarian working 25 km from the border of Iraq. We haven't seen each other in at least 10 years but this is the amazing thing about facebook, you get to peek into their lives like you never left. :)
So my friend leaves everyone she knows and loves to start this very scary adventure. I have to preface this by saying she also took the position because librarians are low on the "schools must have" totem pole and they are not being rehired.
So she gets there, she's sick the first couple weeks but eventually gets acclimated. Then a group of soldiers return to base with a dehydrated/malnourished momma dog and her 6 puppies. There is no veterinary care available and no veterinary supplies. So the team gives them water and part of their rations and eventually they get stronger. My girlfriend decides to adopt one of the puppies jointly with the base Chaplin and we thought they would live happily ever after. NOPE. The military has a strict "no pets" policy. OMG
She talks about him on every post and has boded and formed an attachment and now they are going to kill it? Yes ladies that is what the military requires. They don't want soldiers in battle to be distracted so they don't allow pets and if you have one you have to find it a home or kill it. Needless to say in a country that looks on dogs as pests rather than pets finding a home was hopeless.
Fortunately there is a caveat. If a dog is a mascot of a regiment it is a member of the team and can stay plus it gets its own rations! Yipee! Fortunately the Kansas Reserves were happy to offer the puppy a new home. He will be joining the regiment December 2. But then what you may ask.....
This is where Operation Baghdad Pups comes in. They are a division of ASPCA International and they assist soldiers in their attempts to bring home their furry friends. It's really amazing when you think about it. They help with veterinary care in the home country, assist with travel and housing then customs, post vet care and temp housing. Amazing. Then the doggie or kitty goes on the road again to the final destination and a permanent home to await their military counterpart.
COOL
So, I’m thinking to myself what can I do to help soldiers and their pets? Hum, I can send care packages…maybe I could help raise money to bring pets from other parts of the world..I’m not sure. If you have suggestions I’d appreciate it. I’m a sucker when I hear these stories. I want to reach out and love and protect these poor little animals but the reality is I’m not very good at it. I’m good at getting people together and fundraising, so maybe something in that area……..
Have a great day!

1 comment:

Beth Dunn said...

That is so sad. You are so sweet to try to help. There are so many animals in need. My son would adopt every one if I let him. xoxo

SC