Thursday, December 24, 2009

My most amazing day...



Last Friday I went to Joshua House to drop off my Christmas presents & I couldn't believe how small the gift pile was. My little donation didn't make a dent and I was sad because I know Joshua House shelters kids who have it really bad. Kids who don't have anyone to take care of them. They have been neglected and abused by their parents and aren't safe at home anymore and have nowhere else to go. They come to the shelter with the clothes they are wearing and that’s it. No toothbrush or teddy bear to help them through the next days and weeks.

Anyway, I left and was really sad about the whole thing. There are 40 children currently at the shelter, mostly teenagers, but the gifts were towels and sheets. Weird. I don't ever remember putting that on my Christmas list when I was a teenager.... When I got home I sent an email to my husband’s company community relations manager (she's also an owner) to see if she could send an email to everyone at the company and maybe we could get some more presents for the kids together. That was Friday night...

Saturday I had dinner with my Meet Up group and was telling everyone about what had happened the day before when one of the girls said she would love to help too...It turns out she works for Macy's. :)

As luck would have it almost everyone at my husband’s company took this week off but when he got home Monday he had a check from the community relations manager to help buy gifts for the kids at Joshua House! Yeah!

I already had a plan to go to Macy's and get clothes for the kids. I had my Macy's card and the check. I had a list of all the sizes and I was ready for action!

My Meet Up friend had all the junior clearance items on racks for me to choose from and it went so quickly! Together we were able to purchase 1 outfit for each child at Joshua House. Yep, that’s 40 outfits for $212!

Then I raced over to Joshua House to drop off the bags and the volunteers were so excited! They had just started wrapping presents but the pile was still pretty bleak and I took some of the outfits out to show and there were ooo's and ah's....it was such fun! Thank goodness I remembered to get gift boxes. It was soo fun to be together and laugh and hear stories about the kids and how excited they would be. It really was the most amazing day.

2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

What an AWESOME story! Proof that one person really can make a big difference in the world! Have a very merry and magical Christmas!

jillskict said...

That is the best story ever. Lifted me right up! The giving really is the best part!