Monday, July 26, 2010

Epsilon Sigma Omicron

As a member of the Junior Woman's Club I was eligable to pledge Epsilon Sigma Omicron (ESO). A honorary educational society that provides clubwomen with a structured reading program that stimulates a desire for self-improvement. The goal is to:
•Encourage clubwomen's pursuit of higher education
•Create an additional means to unite women in volunteerism
•Develop a support network for women returning to school
•Improve current and develop new study skills
•Stimulating systematic home reading and study with minimal supervision
•Encouraging the establishment of home libraries and greater use of public libraries
•Encouraging the formation of reading/study/discussion groups
Members can participate in ESO as part of a reading group or on their own. The program provides membership, awards and certificates, pins, reading lists, and a framework in which to pursue continued self-improvement through reading. Many clubs combine club programming with ESO related activities, such as reading awareness and book promotion.

I love to read and part of what I love about the group is getting together with other women like myself to discuss stories. We don't talk about politics or the oil spill or the crazy things kids say and I love it.
We also don't all read the same book. We read whatever we want and when we meet we tell eachother about it. One of the things that always turned me off book groups was the arguments people get in about character development or the deeper meaning of so and so. This group is very relaxed and escentually we give tips on whats great to read. I belong to the fiction lovers group and the book I read today was fabu.


Thin Rich & Pretty
beth harbison

I wasn't sure about this one when I picked it up. It was recommended by amazon based on my searches. I have to tell you they were right on. It really was a coming of age story. One I found HILARIOUS. So of the things these girls did, I did myself...except for the stealing but I'm sure that was just the authors way of keeping me engaged  ;)
In any case it was lovely.

1 comment:

jillskict said...

Added to my list!!!! Sounds like a great group!